Eurocodes / BS EN Standards
The current design standards for highway structures are the structural Eurocodes, being BS EN 1990 to BS EN 1999. (The term highway structures includes cattle/deer grids, bridges etc.) The main Eurocodes used in relation to the design of cattle and deer grids are listed as follows.
The structural design of our highway grids is in accordance with Eurocodes, including the following:
- BS EN 1990: 2002 Basis of structural design
- BS EN 1991-2:2003 Action on structures – traffic loads on bridges
- BS EN 1991-1-5:2003 Actions on structures – general actions – thermal actions
- BS EN 1993-1-1:2005 Design of steel structures – general rules and rules for buildings
- BS EN 1993-2:2006 Design of steel structures – steel bridges
- BS EN 1993-1-5:2006 Design of steel structures – plated structural elements
- BS EN 1993-1-9:2005 Design of steel structures – fatigue
- BS EN 1993-1-10:2005 Design of steel structures – material toughness and through–thickness properties.
Our highway grid has been designed for BS EN 1991-2 load models LM1 and LM2 and is able to carry special vehicles SV80, SV100 and SV196 (gross vehicle weights 80 tonnes, 100 tonnes and 150 tonnes respectively).